Moon Asheville & the Great Smoky Mountains (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
Whether you're hopping between microbreweries or hiking the Appalachian Trail, get to know this charming Southern hub with Moon Asheville & the Great Smoky Mountains. Inside you'll find:
- Flexible, strategic itineraries, from a weekend in Asheville to five days in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, designed for outdoor adventurers, foodies, history buffs, and more
- The best local flavor: Indulge in award-winning cuisine on a food tour, discover the microbreweries that earned Asheville the title of "Beer City USA," and catch a live show from a local band. Admire the art deco architecture downtown, gallery-hop in repurposed warehouses, or check out an indie bookstore
- Unique outdoor experiences: Hike through the mountains and meadows along the Appalachian Trail, take a dip in the hot springs dotting the hillsides, or break out the binoculars for some top-notch wildlife-watching. Set up camp in the Pisgah National Forest, peep the changing leaves in autumn, or go rafting, kayaking, or canoeing on the French Broad River
- Honest advice on when to go, where to stay, and how to get around from North Carolina local Jason Frye
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Thorough background on the culture and history, wildlife, and geography
- Helpful tips for hikers and campers, LGBTQ+ travelers, and travelers with disabilities
Exploring more of the South? Try Moon Carolinas & Georgia. Looking for more Southern city charm? Try Moon Charleston & Savannah.
About the Author
Raised deep in the mountains of West Virginia, Jason Frye moved to North Carolina to pursue a master of fine arts in creative writing. There, his love for the state deepened into a longing to stay, settle, explore, and be a part of its people, culture, and history.
Jason has contributed stories to VisitNC.com, AAA's Go Magazine, Our State magazine, Southern Living, Salt, the CharlotteObserver, and Raleigh News & Observer, and acts as a culinary critic for the Wilmington StarNews. He is also the author of Moon North Carolina, Moon North Carolina Coast, and Moon Blue Ridge Parkway Road Trip.