Terraform: Up & Running: Writing Infrastructure as Code (Paperback)
Terraform has become a key player in the DevOps world for defining, launching, and managing infrastructure as code (IaC) across a variety of cloud and virtualization platforms, including AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, and more. This hands-on second edition, expanded and thoroughly updated for Terraform version 0.12 and beyond, shows you the fastest way to get up and running.
Gruntwork cofounder Yevgeniy (Jim) Brikman walks you through code examples that demonstrate Terraform's simple, declarative programming language for deploying and managing infrastructure with a few commands. Veteran sysadmins, DevOps engineers, and novice developers will quickly go from Terraform basics to running a full stack that can support a massive amount of traffic and a large team of developers.
- Explore changes from Terraform 0.9 through 0.12, including backends, workspaces, and first-class expressions
- Learn how to write production-grade Terraform modules
- Dive into manual and automated testing for Terraform code
- Compare Terraform to Chef, Puppet, Ansible, CloudFormation, and Salt Stack
- Deploy server clusters, load balancers, and databases
- Use Terraform to manage the state of your infrastructure
- Create reusable infrastructure with Terraform modules
- Use advanced Terraform syntax to achieve zero-downtime deployment
About the Author
Yevgeniy (Jim) Brikman loves programming, writing, speaking, traveling, and lifting heavy things. He is the co-founder of Gruntwork, a company that helps startups get up and running on AWS with DevOps best practices and world-class infrastructure. He's also the author of Hello, Startup: A Programmer's Guide to Building Products, Technologies, and Teams, a book published by O'Reilly Media that has a 4.9/5.0 rating on Amazon and 4.5/5.0 rating on GoodReads. Previously, he worked as a software engineer at LinkedIn, TripAdvisor, Cisco Systems, and Thomson Financial and got his BS and Masters at Cornell University. For more info, check out ybrikman.com.