Hey, Baby Girl! (Board book)
A beautiful ode to all bright brown baby girls and the fifth title in the acclaimed Bright Brown Baby series -- from New York Times bestselling and award-winning duo Andrea Davis Pinkney and Brian Pinkney!
Hey, baby girl. Go change the world!
Brimming with love and affirmation, this sweet board book shows bright brown baby girls and little ones everywhere that they can do anything. With bouncing, rhythmic text from New York Times bestselling author Andrea Davis Pinkney and tender, charming illustrations from Caldecott Honor and Coretta Scott King Award-winning illustrator Brian Pinkney, this inspirational ode is the perfect way to offer confidence at the earliest stage and show all little girls that they can change the world!
This board book is part of the Bright Brown Baby publishing program, a celebration of Black and brown joy, babies, and families. And if you're looking for a gift-able picture book, be sure to also check out the beautiful picture book treasury, Bright Brown Baby, to read "Hey, Baby Girl!" alongside four more poems. Just-right for new and expectant parents, baby showers, birthdays, graduations, and more! This is a perfect addition to every child's growing Bright Brown Baby bookshelf!
About the Author
Andrea Davis Pinkney and Brian Pinkney have made an outstanding contribution to the field of children's literature both as individuals and as a team. Between them, they have published more than 70 children's books that have received the highest awards and accolades, including Caldecott Honors, Coretta Scott King Honors, NAACP Image Award nominations, and the May Hill Arbuthnot Honor Lecture Award, to name a few.
Andrea Davis Pinkney and Brian Pinkney have made an outstanding contribution to the field of children's literature both as individuals and as a team. Between them, they have published more than 70 children's books that have received the highest awards and accolades, including Caldecott Honors, Coretta Scott King Honors, NAACP Image Award nominations, and the May Hill Arbuthnot Honor Lecture Award, to name a few. To learn more, please visit andreadavispinkney.com and brianpinkney.net.
Praise for Hey, Baby Girl! (A Bright Brown Baby Board Book):
* "Highly recommended for all collections to shine and celebrate -- but not limited to -- beautiful brown girls." -- School Library Journal, starred review
Praise for Baby Boy, You Are a Star! (A Bright Brown Baby Board Book):
"Taking time for sweet domestic scenes, the Pinkneys bring reassurance to an ordinary day, and toddlers will feel embraced." -- School Library Journal
Praise for Count to Love (A Bright Brown Baby Board Book):
A Parents Magazine Best Board Books for Babies, Toddlers, and Preschoolers of 2021
Praise for Bright Brown Baby:
* "In a five-section treasury of poems... married collaborators Davis Pinkney and Pinkney (Loretta Little Looks Back) speak directly to children of color via joyful nursery-style rhymes and glad images of brown-skinned babies and adults with various skin tones... A radiant evocation of love." -- Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "The universality of the big and small world of the baby -- everything is so new, but the sensation of being coddled is soothingly familiar -- makes this a book for all families to share and savor." -- School Library Journal, starred review
"The Pinkneys, prolific creators of books for children, offer a guide for caregivers to affirm their babies' senses of self-worth... the combination of encouraging text aimed at adults and simple text aimed at babies extends a hand to new parents wanting to tell their little ones how precious they are... A lovely gift and guide for new parents." -- Kirkus Reviews
"Brightly colored, energetic illustrations, rendered in gouache, acrylic, and india ink, depict Black and brown family members in various combinations... Affirming and inviting, this book will be well used in baby storytimes and family read-alongs" -- Booklist
Praise for Martin Rising: A Requiem for a King by Andrea Davis Pinkney, illustrated by Brian Pinkney:
A Washington Post Best Book of the Year
A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year
A New York Public Library Best Book of the Year
A School Library Journal Best Book of the Year
* "Unique and remarkable." -- Publishers Weekly, starred review
* "Each poem trembles under the weight of the story it tells... Martin Rising packs an emotional wallop and, in perfect homage, soars when read aloud." -- Booklist, starred review
Praise for A Poem for Peter by Andrea Davis Pinkney, illustrated by Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher:
A Publishers Weekly Best Book of 2016
A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year 2016
A Chicago Public Library Best Book of the Year 2016
A Sydney Taylor Award Honor Book
An ALSC 2017 Notable Children's Books List Pick
* "Those who love Peter (and who does not?) will relish the illustrations, particularly that of Keats holding hands with Peter under a snow-dappled tree. More to the point, Pinkney lets readers know what Peter meant and still means as a milestone in inclusive children's literature." -- Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "Fancher and Steve Johnson's acrylic, collage, and pencil illustrations... skillfully represent Pinkney's lyrical text, which sometimes requires historical accuracy, magic realism, and nods to future possibilities, all within one spread... This is an important book." -- Booklist, starred review