The American Heritage Student Dictionary (Hardcover)
Specially designed for students in grades 6 9, "The American Heritage Student Dictionary" covers the words that students need to know. With more than 74,000 age-appropriate words and 32,000 example sentences showing words used in context, the dictionary brims with vocabulary reflecting recent cultural and scientific developments. Definitions are phrased in a way young people can readily understand. A full-color page design with vivid graphics provides a powerful platform for developing a more sophisticated vocabulary.
- Over 2,000 new words and senses make this the most up-to-date dictionaryfor today's students.
- New entries include such words as "exoplanet," "golden goal," "nanobot," and "zipline" as well as new meanings such as "cloud" (computing) and "viral" (marketing).
- Stunning contemporary design showcases 2,000 full-color photographs, illustrations, and diagrams that support the definitions.
- Brand-new program of 200 quotations demonstrates how the very best young-adult authors have chosen their words for maximum effect.
- Over 400 feature notes help students develop a deeper understanding of English by explaining word usage, word history, word building, synonyms, and science terms.
Still more features include biographical and geographical entries on people and placesthat are important in the curriculum. A program of "soundalikes," like "cache/cash" and "hoard/horde," alerts students to homophones that are easy to confuse and misuse. Up to date, easy to use, and fun to browse, this dictionary is a phenomenal resource for budding readers and writers.