Real Sweet: More Than 80 Crave-Worthy Treats Made with Natural Sugars (Hardcover)
Real Sweet offers every dessert lover the delicious sweetness they crave in simple and delicious recipes using natural sugars that pack in subtly amazing flavors that elevate treats of every kind (and help us avoid overprocessed, one-dimensional white sugar).
Here are simple lunchbox treats suitable for all ages; whimsical candies and confections created on the stovetop; bake sale classics like cookies and cakes; and fragrant, exotic spoonable puddings and flans. Cookbook author and blogger Shauna Sever helps you introduce healthy touches into treats using natural, unrefined, readily available alternative sweeteners—from coconut sugar, agave nectar, orange blossom honey, and pure maple syrup to smoky turbinado, brown-buttery panela, and jaggery.
Written in Shauna’s fresh, modern, and charmingly funny style, Real Sweet lets every sweet tooth indulge without the guilt. Here are more than eighty sure-to-be-favorite recipes, including:
- All-Day Snacks and Lunchbox Treats: Baked Apple Cinnamon Doughnuts, Cracklin’ Maple Popcorn, Fake-Out Caramel Dip
- Bake Sales and Edible Gifts: Dark, Fudgy Muscovado Brownies and Maple Sugar Butter Cookies
- Picnics and Potlucks: Maple Chocolate Cake, Oregon Berry Cream Crumble, Spiced, Bruleed Maple Pumpkin Pie
- Candies and Confections: Bonfire Toffee Pops and Sea Salt Caramels in the Raw
- Dinner Party Fancies: Honeyed Yogurt Cheesecake and Pistachio Sponge Cake with Honey and Citrus
- Scoops and Spoonables: Butterscotch Pots de Crème and Vegan Toasted Coconut Chip Ice Cream
Whether you’re entertaining, sharing a good meal with friends, contributing to the PTA, or looking for homemade holiday gifts, Real Sweet has the perfect treat for everyday and every occasion.
About the Author
Shauna Sever is the author of Pure Vanilla and Marshmallow Madness! and the voice behind the popular blog Piece of Cake. As a baking expert and television host, she has appeared on Food Network, NPR, CHOW, eHowFood, and more. Her work has been published in O, The Oprah Magazine; USA Weekend; Woman's World; Fine Cooking; Parade; the Huffington Post; and many others. She lives with her husband and their two children in San Francisco.